Powersdr (flex3000)+ Dxlog +MMtty

General Info for PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8 (for the SDR-1000, Flex-1500, Flex-3000, and Flex-5000 only).
IK8HCG

Powersdr (flex3000)+ Dxlog +MMtty

Post by IK8HCG »

hi
I hope someone uses Dxlog.
Who could help me with a user guide to set up PowerSdr (Flex3000) + Dxlog (contest sw) and setup mmtty?
I would like to undertake this new modality.
I'm trying and trying but I can't get it to work in both tx and rx. the only thing that works is reading the powersdr frequency with dxlog through Vspmng.
I saw something on you tube but many use conventional RTX.
thanks in advance
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Powersdr (flex3000)+ Dxlog +MMtty

Post by ke9ns »

I have never used DXLOG, but I have used MMTTY.

Most PC digital mode programs allow either CAT port, or a direct Serial Port to TX/RX, but not MMTTY.
(that requires using VsgMgr to create port pairs)

For MMTTY...
Options->TX->TX Port->Sound (this means you need to use the VOX capability in PowerSDR)

Options->SoundCard->(setup just like any other PC program that uses VAC soundcard devices)

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

Hi Darrin as always
if you can give me the power sdr and mmtty settings without log (Contest). If I can do this operation I think I can also configure the contest log to automatically insert the worked calls
I use vspmng and Vb audio
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

I think I was able to get power sdr working with MMTTY thanks to this video

but I don't listen to rtty audio in tx where setting
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

I had to enable VAC for reception.
now I only have a problem in DIGL when I go to TX the transmission moves 2.1 khz below the frequency I read on powersdr. example I am at 28.105 they receive me at 28.102.900
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I finally figured out how to properly set the DIGITAL mode on PowerSDR: (This example would also work for all the other digital modes and SSTV)

When using the DIGU or DIGL modes, go to Setup->General->Options->Click Tune / Filter Offsets

This allows you to set your Offset to the "MARK" signal (the spike closest to your 0hz line which is defined as 2125hz), so when you use your mouse to click on the "MARK" of the RTTY signal, you will automatically be correctly in your bandpass (make sure your bandpass is open to 3khz in this example)

BUT the actual RTTY Frequency is considered the Frequency of the "MARK", so...
Go to Setup->CAT Control->RTTY Offset, and enable ON, and also set both exactly what you used for the "Click Tune" feature.

This will now send the correct RTTY Frequency to your logging program.

Technically in PowerSDR the "MARK" can be any frequency within your TX/RX bandpass, and it will all work correctly.
So you can set the DIGU/DIGL to 500hz for both "Click Tune" and "RTTY Offset" and the actual reported MARK frequency will still be correct.
It really should not be called the "RTTY Offset" since you can use it for any digital mode.

So you need to set both then "Click Tune" and "RTTY Offset" to be exactly the same otherwise, you will be off the reporting frequency.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

if I enable rtty offset
(enable offset VFO A and B) the MMVARI program reads me 2 khz down, while if I disable it it reads the same frequency as power sdr.
than If I/Q is active in setup-audio-Vac1-Output to vac, mmvari or mmtty does not work normally. clearly if I want to use cwskimmer I have to re-enable it
Attachments
Immagine2.png
Immagine2.png (378.08 KiB) Viewed 100 times
Immagine1.png
Immagine1.png (380.41 KiB) Viewed 100 times
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Correct. It should read 2125hz down from your VFO freq.
Your reported RTTY frequency is supposed to be the frequency of the "Mark" (of the 2 Mark and Space signals). Mark is the signal peak that is closest to the 0hz line. Basically you click on the "mark" signal and your VFO and reported Frequency will always be correct.

Yes you need to manually enable/disable IQ in VAC1/2
I may see if I can tie the IQ ON/OFF setting to the A/B selection of VAC1?

IK8HCG wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:38 pm
if I enable rtty offset
(enable offset VFO A and B) the MMVARI program reads me 2 khz down, while if I disable it it reads the same frequency as power sdr.
than If I/Q is active in setup-audio-Vac1-Output to vac, mmvari or mmtty does not work normally. clearly if I want to use cwskimmer I have to re-enable it
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

i think
it would be enough to create
and keep it set through the profile setting.
IK8HCG

Re: Powersdr (flex3000)+MMtty or MMVari

Post by IK8HCG »

Let's eliminate the Contest/Log program for a moment.
I followed your instructions to the letter. but unfortunately something is not right for me
1) Click tune/Filter Offsets:
DIGU (Hz) DIGL (Hz) both 2125
Apply.
2) CAT Control:
RTTY Offset: Enable Offsets both A and B
below
DIGL 2125 - DIGU 2125
Apply

position power sdr on frequency 14.100 I demodulate a signal. MMvari reads me 14.096 frequency which is next to 599.
in the Carrier (Hz) RX window I read 2174 depending on how I center the receiving signal. the same in TX 2174.
Enable NET
BPF enabled the first one 3000hz
below Sync ebabled 500

now the strange thing is this that I would like to understand, if I send my CQ CQ DE IK8HCG my friends with whom we are doing tests read me on their displays (frequency) radio 4khz below i.e. at 14.096. if they transmit I don't listen to them at 14100 on my power sdr, I have to look for them by moving the vfo, so we will read different frequencies each on our own radios

if I disable in Cat control Rtty offset both A and B
MMvari reads to me:
power sdr 14.100
MMvari 14.098

if you and I decide to do an rtty test and say let's both go to 14080 with our radios and transmit, I don't demodulate you and you don't demodulate me

hi hi update
to read the same frequency both on powersdr and on the MMvari window I have to set in MMvari :Radio Command: frequency offset: OFF not Auto
it is correct or incorrect to set this way
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I just tried it an it worked correctly (transmit and receive):

Note: Your RTTY program may have an offset built in. If that is the case its best to 0hz it out and let PowerSDR send the correct offset.

I clicked on the Mark (where you see the "DX Spot" W7RN )
My VFO reads 7.063.020 (which is not important)
Look at the frequency in the red circle I drew on the photo, That is the frequency under my cursor, and that is the value you need to log.

my logging software is reading via CAT, 7.06090 (which is correct)

when I transmit, its exactly where the RX rtty was.

Just make sure your RTTY program and logging software does not have a built in OFFSET, or make sure to 0 it out.

Its working fine
Attachments
screen_cap-20241019-214223.jpg
screen_cap-20241019-214223.jpg (152.67 KiB) Viewed 41 times
screen_cap-20241019-213925.jpg
screen_cap-20241019-213925.jpg (535.34 KiB) Viewed 41 times
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

Hi Darrin
I don't know what to tell you about your setup. I set everything up differently. i use for RTTY mode, MMTTY or MMVari.
what I did, I set in both two programs in Radio Command "Frequency Offset" Off.
So Power sdr via Cat sends the same frequency as the vfo to the Rtty program and everything is disabled in powersdr: setup/cat control/ Rtty offset A and B. Also disabled in Direct I/Q Output to Vac.

my Mark in both program is variable when I receive signals, it is not fixed at 2125 hz.
A question: but what mode do we flex 3000 or 5000 owners transmit/receive in when we are in DIGL/U? FSK or AFSK?

set up this way I did my first contest in rtty with 175 qsos in low power. Now I just have to set up my DXLog contest program for future rtty activities.

the only thing you should implement is that when you don't use RTTY program and you want to launch Cwskimmer you have to remember to go to the Power sdr setup and enable in Vac1: Direct I/Q Output to VAC otherwise Cwskimmer won't decode