Winkeyer, Log4OM, Flex 5000, CAT

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
Keyports

Winkeyer, Log4OM, Flex 5000, CAT

Post by Keyports »

I should have left things alone but I stumbled across Log4OM2 and it peeked my interest. I've had a Winkeyer sitting around here for sometime and wanted to try and connect it to Log4OM. So I thought I would connect the Winkeyer to the radio and make sure it worked. According to the Flex User Guide to use an external key I need in DSP, Keyer, Connections, Primary set it to "Radio" and in Secondary set this to "CAT". If I try to inter CAT I get the error message "CAT is not enabled. Please enable CAT interface before selecting this option". Since that option is no longer available I tried setting the Secondary to a comport pair and connecting the Keyer Connections to CAT Control. When I enabled the pair in CAT Control the radio keyed until I disabled the pair. I also tried the same thing using the PTT Control with the same results. In the Users Guide it is suggested if it does not work try Reversing the Paddles, same effect. What am I missing?

I would like to get the Winkeyer working as a key with the Flex but I would also like to get it working with Log4OM. Has anyone been able to use the Winkeyer with Log4OM? I can get Winkeyer to connect to Log4OM but it will not key the radio. If you were able to get this working what are your settings.

Thanks for Your help
Jack
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Winkeyer, Log4OM, Flex 5000, CAT

Post by ke9ns »

Is the WinKeyer external device similar to the CW macros found in the CWX feature of PowerSDR?

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
Keyports

Post by Keyports »

Hi Darrin, yes Winkeyer does have macros both in the computer and on the device. I can press a button on the top of the device and it will send out a preprogrammed CQ. It just will not key the radio. If I use the Winkeyer program and use a macro the radio will not key. If I use the programed messages in CWX the radio will key. In CWX using just the key it will not key the radio. If I do the very basic of using an external keyer (Winkeyer) and use the instructions in the Flex Owners Manual I set in the DSP option Primary Connection to Radio and leave Iambic unchecked (also tried checked) the radio will not key. Using the instructions in the 5000 Owners Manual for both the internal keyer and the external keyer, I cannot get the keyer to key the radio. Looking at figure 39 in the 2003-2010 Manual the Keyer connections is Primary is Radio, Secondary is CAT, PTT line is DTR and Key line is RTS. If I use this setup and have the Secondary as CAT I get the error message CAT is not enabled. Please enable CAT interface before selecting this option.

The Winkeyer has two connections, a USB connection to the computer and phone plug to the back of the radio. I know the USB works because the Winkeyer programs show the code. Also several other code training programs will also show code. The wire from the keyer to the radio was purchased rather than being made by me. I'll get another one just to confirm it is good. Is there a way to confirm the key jack in the back of the radio is good? I am not the first owner of this radio.

BIGGER PROBLEM!!! The waterfall is now freezing. According to Task Manger and the Radio CPU usage is between 3 and 9%. Hardly enough to cause a problem. Any thoughts on this?
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

If you "Key" will not key the radio, then dont waste any more time until you can figure that out.

Sometimes I accidentally hit the paddle of my key, and suddenly I switch to CW mode and start transmitting dots.
But I have not had it stop functioning.

SHIFT+CTRL+D will open the debug screen.
Right side of screen you will see "Key" -> Dot and Dash (check the poll box, uncheck when done)
They will turn YELLOW if you close the contact for either dot or dash.

STOP/START will unfreeze the Pan and waterfall or setup->general->hardware config->DttSP Auto Restart checked ON
Its usually a DPC latency issue (real-time background latency). You could run a DPC latency scanner (google it) to see what is causing it?
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
Keyports

Post by Keyports »

Thanks Darrin, I admit it I am an idiot. I found it and got it to work.