Flex 5000a Front Panel Headphone Volume Very Low

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
xzfyjnh

Flex 5000a Front Panel Headphone Volume Very Low

Post by xzfyjnh »

When Heil headphones are plugged into front panel phone jack you almost can't hear the audio because it is so attenuated.

Headphones sound great attached to another transceiver. I plugged a pair of old mono aviation headphones in with same result.

I've looked for an attenuator setting but can't find anything.

Primary Sample Rate: 192k / Buffer Size: 2048
AF: 100%
AGC-T: 100%
AGC: Fast
Preamp: On
VAC on or off doesn't seem to make a difference
Audio Mixer: Headphones:100% / Powered Speaker Line Out has plenty of volume to spare

What am I overlooking here?

Thanks
Ric W5IHL
Jerman

Re: Flex 5000a Front Panel Headphone Volume Very Low

Post by Jerman »

Hello,

Take a look at the RX-M button level, in the middle down of the PowerSDR Interface screen maybe...

Have a good day.

Good DX.
73s
Good DX
xzfyjnh

Post by xzfyjnh »

Thanks! The RX-M slider is at 100% and no improvement.

I have also discovered the microphone and associated controls do not operate properly.This beginning to look like a hardware problem. :?:
Ric W5IHL
Jerman

Post by Jerman »

Yes, really strange problem...
I know that sometimes with some headphones I don't have to push the connector all the way in. It might be like a false contact. Whereas with another headset, I don't encounter the problem and I can press the connector all the way in. But now, I use a Behringer sound card, model UMC202HD, headphones and microphone plugged in, VAC activated and everything is OK.
73s
Good DX
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I would try a doing a Setup->Factory Defaults
It will save a copy of your current database as a backup to your desktop before it returns you back to the saved EEPROM calibrations and factory defaults.
See what happens?
You can always do a setup->import, to go back to your database if that does not solve your issue.
Also make sure your CPU is not at 100% usage.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
xzfyjnh

Post by xzfyjnh »

Thanks for the suggestions. Talking with Toby at Troy radio, he says he has seen the headphone preamp blown by attaching the wrong eqpt to the headphone jack. I put a scope on the jack and there is signal but its micro-volts. I bought this 5000 off QRZ and no telling its history. Thankfully this is the only problem I have found. It will be interesting to see what Toby finds. The rig is boxed and ready to be shipped.

BTW Darrin I did restore it to Default and no improvement.
Ric W5IHL
IK8HCG

Post by IK8HCG »

HI
same thing happened with my 5000, with David Clark headphones. If you remove the microphone jack of your Heil and the headphones inserted into the phones jack, do you notice that the audio output of the headphones increases?
poor GND