FireWire via Thunderbolt port

FireWire Information and Issues (for Flex-3000 and Flex-5000 models only). FireWire is the connection between your Flex radio and the PC (PowerSDR)
ke9ns
Site Admin

FireWire via Thunderbolt port

Post by ke9ns »

Some laptops will come with a Thunderbolt port, OR a USB-C USB4.0 that is Thunderbolt 3 compatible.
Apple (no longer in production) made a Thunderbolt 2 to 1394 FireWire adapter.
You can get a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter cable.
For USB-C Thunderbolt, you would need to get an adapter to Thunderbolt 3 or 2 to make this work.

See my website for details

Darrin
resized_20230916_115607.jpg
resized_20230916_115607.jpg (247.32 KiB) Viewed 4967 times
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
MM0XXW

Re: FireWire via Thunderbolt port

Post by MM0XXW »

Here's a tale of woe!
Well I I thought that all I had to do was follow the instructions here so I purchased a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter which is connected to a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter (rarer than rocking horse doo-doo and very expensive over here!) then Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 cable.
Switched the iMAC on thinking a few software downloads and we're good to go!
However being new to the MAC family I soon found out about partitions, Boot Camp etc etc okay I can follow instructions however after a couple of frustrating hours I found out that my particular model (M3 running Sonoma) doesn't recognize Boot Camp and has been dropped so here goes nothing I'm off to research how to get the software I need to get my Flex5k attached, this should be fun!
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: FireWire via Thunderbolt port

Post by ke9ns »

I think for ARM based Apple computers(i.e. M3 cpu) can use "Parallels" for Windows, but I dont know if "Parallels" is compatible with FireWire?
"BootCamp" which I had used for years, is only for Intel x86 CPUs

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior