Windows 11

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
kf6zok

Windows 11

Post by kf6zok »

Will there be any issues upgrading/downgrading to Windows 11?
Thanks
Cecil Lale
KF6ZOK
Flex 5000a
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Post by ke9ns »

As long as Win11 allows running x86 programs, it should run fine.
I know it only installs as a x64 OS, but it continues to support x86.

Darrin
ke9ns
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Update.

Win11 will require your computer to have a TPM (Trusted platform module) (i.e. hardware encryption key).
So you are not supposed to be able to install Win11 unless you go and buy the TPM for your motherboard.
Win10 its optional.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
W5KLF

Post by W5KLF »

I had to update my motherboard bios to get tpm 2.0. but after that windows 11 works fine with flex 5000 and powersdr
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

W5KLF wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm
I had to update my motherboard bios to get tpm 2.0. but after that windows 11 works fine with flex 5000 and powersdr
Curious...
Did you buy a TPM board to plug into your motherboard TPM socket, OR did your motherboard already have the TPM Chip built in?

I have a fairly recent Ryzen compatible motherboard (10/16/21 recently found out it has TPM 2.0 onboard)

Darrin
W5KLF

Post by W5KLF »

ke9ns wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:00 pm
W5KLF wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Curious...
Did you buy a TPM board to plug into your motherboard TPM socket, OR did your motherboard already have the TPM Chip built in?

I have a fairly recent Ryzen compatible motherboard, but only a socket for a TPM board.

Darrin
Mine already had TPM Chip, but was at 1.5. Still work fine with powersdr. Has a few quirks not related to flex and powersdr, but may work better than windows 10 in my case. I usually have both receivers running , two instances of wsjt-x, 2 jtalerts, and gridtracker. On top of that I may have several webpages open and watching youtube videos. Windows 10 virutal audio would act up every once in a while. Haven't seen any of that yet with windows 11. Don't like the new file explorer layout.
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Just for everyone who reads this:

Win11 does require a more recent Computer board running a more Recent CPU (example: All AMD Ryzen based computer will be capable, but many Intel CPUs are not currently supported including many i7 older than 2019).
Your Motherboard or Laptop will need a TPM (Trusted Platform Module), which is a chip to store encrypted data keys that resides on your Motherboard, and a "Secure Boot" Capable setup.
This requires you to go into your BIOS and turn on your TPM 2.0 module. But also your main Hard Drive needs to be GPT formatted (not MBR) and both Win10 and your BIOS needs to be set to UEFI mode (not Legacy). If your hard drive is currently formatted as a MBR, Microsoft did come out with a MBR2GPT program (i.e. admin dos: mbr2gpt /convert /disk:0 /allowfullos).

To get a Free Win11 upgrade you need to have a "current version" authorized copy of Win10 and pass the hardware capability and valid CPU test in Win10 (Settings->update & Security->Windows Update).
You will need to google for the BIOS procedure for your motherboard Model# to activate TPM and UEFI (in both Win10 and BIOS). You do not need to activate Secure Boot in Win10 , just be capable of it.
For me: I had to first convert my Hard drive to GPT (Using mbr2gpt command), then do a settings->Updates & Security->Recovery->Advanced Startup->Restart now. Then on the blue screen navigate to, advanced options, UEFI. This reboots your PC, so you need to figure out which key will get you into your BIOS setup. In the BIOS, select BOOT and UEFI, and Trusted Platform (under advanced options).
When you reboot to Win10, you should now be capable of passing the Win11 test, as long as your CPU is on the list.
From what I have read, If your BIOS does not have a TPM to activate, but is capable of adding a module, its likely that the CPU will not be on the list of capable Win11 CPU's.

Once you upgrade to Win11, you have 10 days to revert back to Win10 if you choose.The Version of Win11 will be the same as your Win10 (i.e. Win10 Home upgrades to Win11 Home, and Pro upgrades to Pro)

Darrin
ke9ns