New (to me) 1500 & Questions

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
K5RHD

New (to me) 1500 & Questions

Post by K5RHD »

Hello,

Thanks for keeping the torch lit on PowerSDR! I have not used PSDR for about 7 years and some of the improvements since have been great!!!!

I just got a 1500 to use mainly as an IF front end for VHF-UHF+ transverters. I have a freshly built, fully patched Windows 10 machine with 2.5gHz and 16GB of RAM with NO 3rd party AV or anti malware stuff on it. All hardware drivers are up to date with respect to the machine. The machine only exists with Windows to run this software and my 1500. I don't surf the web or have anything else installed outside of what is needed to run the station.

I have several issues and questions. Sorry for dumping them all out there!

1. What are the best settings for CAT control with respect to WSJT-X software and PowerSDR. It seems that I can only get the TS-480 radio definition to work and it may be part of another problem I have (see below). Is there a guide somewhere I can follow?
2. PowerSDR crashes HARD like BSOD hard. The stop code goes by too fast but it seems to say flex1500.sys or similar. I cannot reproduce it at will as it happens randomly although it seems to happen a lot when I am using WSJT-X and switching about...
3. I have had messages saying that I have run out of system memory and a BSOD usually happens before I can get the text of the error dialog copied and pasted to a text file.
4. Sometimes, I open PowerSDR and it sorta freaks out with lots of the panel buttons blinking-usually the Start, VFO Sync, MOX, TUN, and a few others I cannot recall at this time. Most of the time, I can close it, power cycle the radio and the Xverter and relaunch PSDR and it goes away. Sometimes I have no choice but to reboot Windows completely.
5. Also, I have a Leo Bodnar Mini GPSDO and it is hooked to the ext ref BNC on the 1500 and the option is checked in Setup of PSDR-question how do I know it is locked and functioning? I could easily be missing it....

As far as trouble shooting, I have backed up my db, uninstalled PSDR, deleted the remaining folder in C:\Program Files and then resinstalled the software. No discernible change. I am an IT guy with about 15 years of Windows desktop support experience which ended with Windows 7 (I am a macOS/Linux guy professionally now and 10 is new to me) however I can certainly tackle most any suggestions or tasks to resolve the issue. Also, if there are any specific log files I should be looking at/for I can dig them up and supply them-just let me know the path.

Thanks and 73,
K5RHD
/randy
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: New (to me) 1500 & Questions

Post by ke9ns »

Click on the Virtual Audio and Virtual serial (left side) links on my webpage. It shows a setup to WSJT-X. Its best to use TS-2000 as the radio in WSJT-x

Are you running the latest v2.8.0.218? When Win10 went from Ver 1909 to ver 2004 (any beyond) I started to get an occasional BSOD
I made some changes to the code and never got a BSOD afterwards (but this was on my Flex-5000). I am currently running Win10 Ver 21H1

How many CPU cores and threads are you running (memory and speed is not an issue)?

If you want to try a fresh database, then go to folder: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v2.8.0\
and remove all the files with your radios serial# in the file name. Should be 5 files

As far as using an external 10mhz ref, I have never used one, but I assume you must still perform a setup->general->Calibration
Then go to Setup->general->hardware config->DDS expert. After calibration using an external ref. I assume the Clock offset will be close (if not) 0

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior