Issue after upgrading to v2.8.0.280

Questions and issues related to Flex Firmware updates and Turf Region.
W4GON

Issue after upgrading to v2.8.0.280

Post by W4GON »

Hello,

I read the release notes for v2.8.0.279 and .280 and then upgraded per the instructions. I installed twice and on the second install did a restore. What I'm noticing with this new version (.280) is that when I change between my different TX Profiles on the main window the program stops and starts the radio over 10 times before it finally settles down and start working again. In previous versions this stop and start behavior only occurred a few times before switching the profile. In addition, I'm also noticing that the VAC1 "Reset VAC every hour" box is not staying enabled when I switch away from my Digi profile and then back to it. I have saved my TX settings to my Digi profile with "Reset VAC every hour" checked so it should work. It was working before the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Joel
W4GON

Re: Issue after upgrading to v2.8.0.280

Post by W4GON »

I did some more testing and it looks like the only profiles that are doing the Off and On of the radio cycle thing are the ones that use VAC1. My voice only profiles for SSB and AM for example switch quickly between each other. Any profile that has VAC1 enabled will cause the Start/Stop and the VAC1 buttons to flicker from Off to On for a good 10 times before finally staying on.

Joel
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

The Install 2 times is only when I do an update with the same version number.

TXProfile additions require that you do a setup->factory defaults as your starting point. Older databases dont have the new references.

But note that even with a new database, saving 2 profiles with different DSP or VAC1 settings will cause 1 or 2 STOP/START delays.

A while back I added STOP/START delays to try and prevent FireWire crashes.
It appears the newer FireWire cards and newer motherboards dont have those issues (like IRQ conflicts)
So I may try removing those STOP/Start delays at some point in the future.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
W4GON

Post by W4GON »

Ok, thanks Darrin. I went ahead and did a factory default and then imported the backup database as I didn't want to loose all my settings. I also ensured that the DSP and VAC1 settings matched between the two digital profiles I'm using. I'm still counting around 10 stop/start delays. It's definitely only happening when I switch to a profile that has VAC1 enabled. No worries, I just wanted to report as it is a new behavior I noticed after the update.

Joel
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Importing your old database will cancel the new database.

If you have a file compare program, you can compare a factory defaults (.280) database, and your backup database.

Then when you see a "VAC1_SelectA" you would copy that line and the next 4 lines (down to and including "Drive_Max") into your old database.
The File Compare program I use automatically finds where it should go because its trying to eliminate differences between the database.

These 5 lines appear 2 times towards the top of the database
<xs:element name="VAC1_SelectA" type="xs:boolean" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="VAC1_SelectB" type="xs:boolean" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="VAC1_MixAudio" type="xs:boolean" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="VAC1_Reset" type="xs:boolean" minOccurs="0" />
<xs:element name="Drive_Max" type="xs:int" minOccurs="0" />

and then these 5 lines appear once per TXProfile

<VAC1_SelectA>true</VAC1_SelectA>
<VAC1_SelectB>false</VAC1_SelectB>
<VAC1_MixAudio>false</VAC1_MixAudio>
<VAC1_Reset>false</VAC1_Reset>
<Drive_Max>100</Drive_Max>

You really only need to copy these 5 lines into the TXprofiles you intend to use (Search for the name of your TXProfile), but the lines need to appear at the correct position within the TXprofile.
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
W4GON

Post by W4GON »

Thanks Darrin. I'll experiment with these steps and see how it goes.

Thanks again
Joel
WA4SCA

Post by WA4SCA »

Literally years ago, I used the Flex Transfer program to merge old and new configurations. With the advanced function selected, there was a large degree of granularity which allowed you to only merge certain sections. The was especially useful if part of the old configuration got corrupted, as you could cut down considerably the time needed to configure the default database. Is that still usable with the current KE9NS software?
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I never used that Transfer software so I cannot say.

But I try to make changes to the database "automatic" to avoid the need for a transfer.

So I just uploaded .281

This should now automatically update your existing database with the new TXprofile save items: Vac1 selectA-B, Vac1 mix, Vac1 Reset, and Drive Max
This is similar to what I had to do when I expanded the TX EQ and added it to the TXprofile save.

This was all to avoid having to use a "Transfer" program.

Darrin