.278 GPredict tests

Related to Satellite RX/TX (setup and operation)
Related to VU5K (Flex-5000) with RX2 (setup and operation)
w2jon

.278 GPredict tests

Post by w2jon »

Hey gang. I read that you've had some success with Gpredict / Hamlib
I've never been able to seem to get it to work properly for full duplex work. For some reason my config must be wrong.

I can get VFoA to do all sorts of fun stuff, but B just looks at me funny.
Even tried to create device interfaces for a TX only and RX only scenario pointing 2 instances of hamlib to 2 separate com and tcp ports.
one being a regular cat port and the other pointing to RX2 VFOB as the rx device. I must be wonking something up.

If you've been able to get FullDuplex working, would you be willing to share your settings?

thanks bud

jon
w2jon

Re: .278 GPredict tests

Post by w2jon »

Ahh gave it another go. This time I didn't rely on GPredict to drive VFOA and VFOB with just one Radio Interface defined.
This time around I created a radio called PSDR-RX2 and made it an RX only radio. I also remembered to change the darn port of Hamlib for the 2nd instance.
GPredict.png
GPredict.png (28.41 KiB) Viewed 18584 times
In PSDR I set the CAT settings like this for the test:
CATSettings.png
CATSettings.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 18584 times
Then the start-up file looks like this:

Code: Select all

start C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\HamRadio\Satellite\gpredict-win32-2.3.37\gpredict.exe
cd "C:\Program Files\hamlib-w64-4.5.5\bin"
start rigctld.exe -vv -m 2048  -r \\.\com10 -s 57600 -t 4534
start rigctld.exe -vv -m 2048  -r \\.\com9 -s 57600 -t 4532
The VFOA and VFOB are now updating. Is this similar to the approach you tried? I just couldn't get VFOB to update out pf the box with one radio def.

I'm used to using FlexSatPC but there are a lot of things I prefer In GPredict over SatPC32

Also tried with TX only on VFOA this seems to move the dials also.. and the Lock together VFO feature works as well
GPredictsettings2.jpg
GPredictsettings2.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 18584 times
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: .278 GPredict tests

Post by ke9ns »

I found the issue was Gpredict wants to see the radio in SPLIT mode to operate correctly (which is nonsense).
So the moment you turn on RX2, the SPLIT goes away and causes the full duplex to fail.
In .278 I make sure that CAT commands see that we are in SPLIT when TX is on VFOB and RX2 is ON
I also allow you to LOCK TX to VFOB (PowerSDR normally put TX back to VFOA every time you change bands, which again does not make sense)

1) Set TX to VFOB
2) Right Click on the VFOB TX button (to lock it)
3) Set the rigctld.exe->Properties->Target to: rigctld.exe -vv -m 2048 -r COM12 -s 57600 (with COM12 being one side of a virtual com port pair, the other side needs to be in PowerSDR->Setup->CAT
4) Run rigctld (it should open up a DOS window for any faults that might occur), you can minimize it
5) open Gpredict->Edit->Preferences->interfaces->Add new-> Host=Localhost, Port=4532, Radio Type=Duplex TRX, PTT Status=NONE, VFO UP/Down=B/A
6) Also setup a satellite group of working satellites:
7) Click on Down arrow (upper right side of Gpredict)->Radio Control.
8) On the Radio Control screen, select the Satellite (Target), Select the Mode (just under the satellite name),
9) Hit the "Engage" button, and the bands on PowerSDR should change (MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU LOCK TX ON VFOB FIRST WITH RX2 ON)
10) Hit the "Track" button to engage Doppler offset

I will add a write-up on my webpage soon (like I have for other PC programs I use, like WSJT-X, CW skimmer)

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior