Band change protection when trasmitting

General Info for PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8 (for the SDR-1000, Flex-1500, Flex-3000, and Flex-5000 only).
i2gda

Band change protection when trasmitting

Post by i2gda »

I am writing a software to drive a home made solid state linear amplifier with my Flex 3K and Arduino. I searched a CAT command to inhibit the
accidental band change on the Fex 3K while the rig is in trasmission state, maybe disabling the band keyboard, but I have not found any useful
command. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

I2GDA - Gino

Flex 3000 - Mac Mini 2010 bootcamp - Windows 7
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Band change protection when trasmitting

Post by ke9ns »

Your correct, nothing blocks band change CAT commands during TX.

This is the Safety Feature I added to PowerSDR and use:

Check Setup->General->Options->Flex Amp PTT control and IIC FlexWire AMP control
Check Setup->General->Options->IIC FlexWire AMP ON/OFF

2 new buttons appear just above the STOP/START Button: "AMP ON/OFF", "AMP PTT"

Now in order to key your Amp using the TX RCA output on your 3000, you must first click on the yellow "AMP PTT" button.
It will turn Green to let you know your AMP is armed. You can PTT your AMP on TX.

NOTE: You dont need to worry about the Red "Amp ON" button unless you plan on using the IIC FlexWire to turn your Amp ON/OFF

When you change bands, it will automatically disable the AMP PTT key line (turn Yellow).

But this means you now need to click on the Yellow AMP PTT button every time you change bands.

I use this to protect my AMP in case I am running my G5RV and need to first use my external Tuner before activating the AMP.
This is because I do have different antennas that cover some of the same bands.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
i2gda

Post by i2gda »

Hi Darrin, thanks for the reply which is a good solution to my problem. However I found a workaround that might be also interesting.
The application I'm writing controls my DIY linear amplifier entirely from a PC. When I press the PTT on the Flex, starts the transmission sequencer on the amplifier, and sends the CAT ZZVL0; command (VFO lock) that inhibits band and mode keyboards on PowerSdr. When the PTT is released, it sends the CAT ZXVL1; command, which restores the use of keyboards. In this way I am automatically protected against accidental change on PowerSdr of band and mode while in transmission.
Maybe this interest somebody.

73 I2GDA
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I just make an update to .283

Now the VFO LOCK functions as follows:

ZZVL0 = Unlock VFO A and B
ZZVL1 = Lock VFO A

if you Check Setup->General->Options->VFO Lock A/B, then you get 2 more valid options:

ZZVL2 = Lock VFO B
ZZVL3 = Lock VFO A and B

and I also fixed 2 issues where the non-ham bands were not locked out properly, and the VFO would unlock after a PTT

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior