setting up PowerSDR with a Flex 5000a For 100 Watt AM Mode

General Info for PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8 (for the SDR-1000, Flex-1500, Flex-3000, and Flex-5000 only).
n2rga

setting up PowerSDR with a Flex 5000a For 100 Watt AM Mode

Post by n2rga »

In the manual it says
The Carrier Level determines the percentage of carrier level to be applied to the transmit signal where 100% is one quarter of full power output (25W when Drive on the front console is set to 100). So a setting of 80 would yield roughly 16W when Drive is set to 100. This is useful as it allows the modulation to appear much stronger due to the weaker carrier.
It has the Picture of AM Carrier Level Above these Words and in that box, it says 100%

I'm trying to get Full 100 Watts or close to it out.
My Settings are Carrier Level 25.0
Dirive on the meter (Daiwa CN-801 HP Type) 25 Watts Dead Key With modulation swings to 50-60 Watts PEP depending on how loud I speak.
My ALC is at 0 when I speak.

The hover-over in setting Says
With your Mic already adjusted to prevent any ALC Clipping
Set Drive level to 100.
Set Carrier to 0.
PTT the radio (with no Audio)
Adjust carrier Level for 25% of Maximum Wattage. (around 8 or So)

I did these settings and got over 100 Watts out, But everyone said I was distorted and sounded like I was FMing.

What should my setting be?
Does anyone have good results with those settings?
Mitch
Mitch
N2RGA
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: setting up PowerSDR with a Flex 5000a For 100 Watt AM Mode

Post by ke9ns »

Mitch,

With the Flex-5000, the SSB and AM definitely have different TX profiles for setup and EQ.

Yes keep the carrier at 25watts max (assuming 100 watt output). When I run my Titan amp, I keep my carrier at around 375 watts

I have a section on my webpage ke9ns.com/flexpage.html. Click on the eSSB/AM left side link, then scroll down to the AM section. This will show you how to setup the AM for great audio.

As far as EQ settings, You can emulate my external audio rack with the PowerSDR TX EQ as long as you use a mike that has full range audio.
In SSB you typically add bottom end, but in AM you do not need to.

Its ok for the ALC to go over 0 on your peaks. PowerSDR have a very fast ALC. Just dont have your power output peaks go over 100 watts with a 25watt carrier since that is 100% modulation. Watch the Pan when transmitting, your audio should not go more than 3/4 of the way up the carrier if your talking to someone on AM for 100% mod, if they are using SAM (synchronous AM) you can usually drive your audio past 100% mod without issues on their end.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior