Power SDR Crashing On Flex 5000

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
ka7niq

Power SDR Crashing On Flex 5000

Post by ka7niq »

I have a Flex-5000 with KE9NS software. I was getting RF into the radio. Moving the microphone from the front to the real panel of the radio seems to have solved this! However, I saw that my KE9NS Software had an update, so I updated it. Now, I have a weird problem! I am running Windows 10, and I get a small microphone icon on the bottom right of my Monitor that says that the KE9NS Power SDR Software is using my computer microphone !!! And, the software now crashes, for no apparent reason! I have tried deleting the KE9NS program, and re installing it, but it doesn't help. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this ?

This has turned out to be a real PITA ! Host Process for windows service is now constantly using my computer webcam mic, and when I turn the mic completely off, PowerSDR refuses to even load! I get 2 separate and different error messages, and then it crashes!
Today, I deleted each and every file in my computer that had anything to do with Flex, and did a fresh KE9NS install, no luck.
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Power SDR Crashing On Flex 5000

Post by ke9ns »

The microphone icon is something Microsoft added to Win10 a while back.
If the VAC1/2 was on and was using the default recording device (i.e. PC mic), it will pop up.
Its their security measure to let you know someone is using your PC mic, etc., etc.

PowerSDR requires that you have at least 1 recording device in order to launch, even if you dont use it. (Its been that way back before my code).
By default the audio devices have the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" checked, so if some program is already latched onto your webcam mic, its not available to PowerSDR.

You definitely need to find out what is using your mic.

Open windows Control panel->Sound and check your listing of Playback and recording devices. (newer versions of Win10 try to hide the SOUND panel.)
Click the "Virtual Audio" left side link on my webpage.
You will see what my SOUND panel looks like.
I have VoiceMeeter Banana installed and SmartSDR, so you will see a bunch of VoiceMeeter and DAX drivers.
If you dont have VoiceMeeter Banana, go get it and install it (useful for digital work)
See if PowerSDR will launch.

Darrin
ke9ns
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

OK, I downloaded and installed the Banana, still dont know what to do with it, but I have it now. Your version of Power SDR will load fine, my real problem is excessive RF, on 20 meters!
It is so bad, I cant even use my amp.
But, 80 meters is great, no RF at all, even with 1200 watts out.
My 20 meter antenna is a SteppIR Dipole up 45 feet, but I am right under all my antennas.
I have a 3 position switch box, so position 1 is the 40/80 meter dipole, position 2 is a monoband 10 meter vertical at 50 feet, and position 3 is the SteppIR Dipole. Only on the SteppIR Dipole do I have any problems.
I had problems on the 40/60 meter dipole, until I put a good Balun Designs Balun at the feed point.
Not sure if the SteppIR Dipole has a built in Balun, but line isolators haven't helped.
The ONLY reason I was concerned about the microphone Icon being on is, I wanted to be sure RF was not getting in through the computer mic.
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

You dont need to do anything with VoiceMeeter. It installed audio drivers (virtual audio cables). So if you ever want to run Digital modes, you can now use VAC1 to get Audio over to/from the PC.
The real issue is the Mic ICON means some other program is actively using your MIC. I would find the program ASAP and shut it down.

Excessive RF? you referring to RFI?
I have clamp-on Ferrite chokes on all the cables and wires attached to the Flex, and coax chokes at the base of all my antennas.

Can you hear RFI if you listen to your own audio in the Monitor?

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

Yes! LOL, it sounds like a reverb/echo! The RF in the shack is so bad, it actually disconnects my keyboard from the computer!
Power SDR wants a microphone, because if I unplug the mic, I get error messages in Power SDR, and it refuses to load.
The Mic Icon only appears when I run Power SDR
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

probably not coming from the shield of the coax then. Simply a proximity issue.

I have a Tri-Band Yagi on top of the house. If I run 10m over 500 watts, I get into a sub-woofer I have attached to a TV upstairs (I am in the basement) and a CO2 monitor I had on the 2nd floor. Luckily I can run 1500 watts on 20m with no issues.

Ferrite chokes on all wires attached to your PC and your Flex-5000 is a good start.

Turn your mic level all the way down, and key the radio and activate the Monitor, listen in a headset with the MON level all the way up.
You should hear nothing but silence. This will check for a local ground loop or bad ground wire (if you hear hum)

I have a friend that had an RFI issue on 20m, but his wire antenna was 200' away from the house (with 250' of coax buried under ground). It turned out the headphone cable he was using (a gamer headset) plugged into his PC was the cause. He placed a Ferrite on the headphone cable and cured the issue. He already had Ferrite clamps all over his radio, but didnt think about his PC.

Darrin
ke9ns
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

OK, I tried listening to monitor with headphones, mic gain all the way down, heard no hum, total silence.
Why is Power SDR using my computers microphone ?
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

LOL, I just made a contact on 20 meters! The guy was just down in Puerto Rico, had to shut amp off, and reduce power to only 30 watts.
But he had a Beam, so we talked for about 20 minutes!
I think I am gonna start over, and run a separate wire from radio/amp/tuner/computer to a ground rod. I have braid connecting everything now.
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

take a screen shot of the full desktop including the PowerSDR console.

Darrin
ke9ns
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

What program is best to do a screen shot of the desktop with ?
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

ka7niq wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:59 pm
What program is best to do a screen shot of the desktop with ?
I took a screenshot of my desktop, and tried to attach it. It is a PNG file, and it said it is too big to attach on this forum
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

I just tried to reduce the size of my screenshot you asked for. It is already 2mb, and to go any smaller, I can only go down to thumbnail size!
The RF is just as bad, maybe worse, on 17 meters!
I ordered snap on ferrites for every wire going into computer, and also ordered some copper bus bar straps to connect the radio equipment together.
I have braid on there right now.
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

Update! I just made a full power (100 watt) contact to Minnesota on 20 meter phone! No RF ! Haven't tried it with the amp yet. I went into the BACK of the Flex 500 with my Mic, but I am still keying the radio from the front connector, LOL
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

OK. I just upped the file size limit to 10mb per image.
So try again.

Are you using the LINE-IN on the back? What type of Mic?

Darrin
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (3.58 MiB) Viewed 7748 times
Ok, here goes for the desktop screenshot picture
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

ke9ns wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:08 pm
OK. I just upped the file size limit to 10mb per image.
So try again.

Are you using the LINE-IN on the back? What type of Mic?

Darrin
Yes, with an Alctron PM02 Dynamic Mic, just a cheap dynamic mic, but getting plenty of gain, however, I did by a Behringer Tube Preamp, the Ultragain Mic 2000 I plan to hook up some day.
LOL, I am really hokey, running the mic in the back, but still using the Heil hand Switch connected to the FRONT of the radio, with it's long ass cord. That's an invitation for RF to get into the Flex 5000.
The HEIL Hand Switch is on a TRS cable, so I wonder if *If can adapt it to key from the back of the radio ?
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

I meant a screenshot of your desktop with PowerSDR up and running and the tray showing the MIC icon.

I run a push-button hand switch on the desk and a foot switch on the floor tied in parallel to the RCA PTT on the back of the Flex. Works well.
I still put Ferrite on all the cables at the back of the Flex and PC and tuner and Amp just to be sure.

Darrin
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

ke9ns wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 pm
I meant a screenshot of your desktop with PowerSDR up and running and the tray showing the MIC icon.

I run a push-button hand switch on the desk and a foot switch on the floor tied in parallel to the RCA PTT on the back of the Flex. Works well.
I still put Ferrite on all the cables at the back of the Flex and PC and tuner and Amp just to be sure.

Darrin
ok, here it is, sorry about that !
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 7737 times
ka7niq

Post by ka7niq »

You can see the microphone ICON, in this screenshot.
I have snap on ferrites ordered for the computer cables, and I also have a coax bulkhead that I can mount to my tower, that will allow grounding of the coax shields!
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

You have VAC1 turned on. You only need VAC1 ON if you use your PC for a Speaker to listen to the Flex or if you use your PC as a MIC for transmitting.
OR you want to run a Digital Mode of some kind.
So Turn VAC1 OFF and that we free up your PC's default speaker and Mic

Darrin