Not sure where to post

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
K3UU

Not sure where to post

Post by K3UU »

Hello: I am new member here. I have a few, actually more than a few, I guess questions/observations/concerns about building the source code for the KE9NS version of PowerSDR. I am an experienced Windows developer, and about 10-15 years ago did a complete re-write of some code that WU2X wrote called PowerSDR-IFStage. I ran this on a Windows XP machine. Now fast forward to the present, I have acquired a Windows 11 machine and am in the process of porting, actually moving my code over to the Windows 11 machine. I am running into some issues with the newer security features that Windows 11 has implemented with regard to using Visual Studio and the KE9NS software source code. Somewhat related but not too important at the present time is the fact that the audio card I chose to use in the XP machine will not work in the Windows 11 machine. We can get to that later.
Anyway without rambling on too much. Is this a proper forum to open these discussions????
Regards,
Karin Anne Johnson P.E. K3UU
Palm Harbor, Florida
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Not sure where to post

Post by ke9ns »

I currently compile PowerSDR ke9ns v2.8.0 under Win11 x64 pro and VS2022 with no issues.
I would be happy is someone could lend a hand writing code and improving my ke9ns v2.8.0
i have just upgraded the compile under .NET 4.8
It took a while because the "Culture" function works differently when you go past .NET 4.5.2.
Newer versions of .NET caused regions using a comma delimiter to fail.
It took forever but I just found a work-around and its working

I have my PowerSDR ke9ns VS2022 project posted to https://github.com/ke9ns/PowerSDR_ke9ns_v2.8.0/

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
K3UU

Post by K3UU »

Hi Darrin:
I've been messing around with PowerSDR-IFStage for quite some time. I think WU2X wouldn't even recognize it now.
I did download your source code and was reviewing it for some tips on migrating to Windows 11. Previously I was using Visual Studio Team, that I "borrowed" from work. Been retired now for 10 years, but I still have the Team version on my XP machine. That was when you actually had to pay for it. I am amazed that Microsoft has made available Visual Studio 2022 Professional. I don't have a Flex radio so I can't actually run your code as stand alone, but I can run portions of it mainly in the startup and configuration under Visual Studio 2022. With my code I found that the combination of Visual Studio 2022 and Windows 11 has introduced some picky security features. Like for instance when trying to write registry keys, you can't do that unless you are running the code as an Administrator. I've use a couple of work around's to compensate for some of these issues. I've managed to get MY code running under Windows 11 as a release version, but I have had to jump thru some picky hoops relative to Windows 11 security. So I was looking at your startup code to see if you did anything different from early versions of PowerSDR. I have migrated my code to Visual Studio 2022 Professional .NET4.8 and it does run but with some changes I had to make because of Windows 11 security features. It is amazing that the fundamental configuration and startup code has not changed that much from the original PowerSDR. There are so many areas to discuss and collaborate on, I don't know where to start.
I just came in from cutting the grass and am a bit tired right now, so in the coming days I'll see if I can get more written.
Regards for now,

Karin Anne Johnson P.E. K3UU
Palm Harbor, Florida
K3UU

Post by K3UU »

Maybe you should add a forum topic about writing or modifying code.
I will add I WILL not try to subvert your code. My projects are strictly for my own enjoyment.

Karin
K3UU

Post by K3UU »

Oh I almost forgot. If you want this discussion off of the forum I can send you my direct email.

Karin
NX6C-Ted

Post by NX6C-Ted »

Similar question about where to post, but my interest is in returning a 5000 u/v to service and choosing a PC to run it.

I am requesting a list of a daily, currently operating, PC components, or computer make and model number, that is running PowerSDR KE9NS and Windows 11.

Ted
NX6C
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Ted,

In my opinion, the best PC out is any desktop running a "AMD Ryzen" CPU. I run a the low end Ryzen with 6 core with 12 threads total (its very fast).
They run cool and never bog down.
I run an old (GTX 650) low end gamer Video card (I have 3 FHD monitors, but any FHD monitor will do fine)

I have 32gb of DDR4 ram, but that is only because of Visual Studio and Photoshop (8gb or 16gb will do just fine)
My CPU normally sits at around 6% running PowerSDR with 35 frame Panadapter rate

My motherboard is an MSI Motar B350M, but that is now old by current standards (B350M is the AMD motherboard chipset # so you may find a B550M at this point)
and a m.2 nvme solid state state hard drive (but any SATA or m.2 Solid-State hard drive will do just fine)
Win11 x64 Pro (Win10 x64 will do just fine)

If you get a motherboard with "Thunderbolt" capability, it is possible to run FireWire using Apple adapters,
otherwise I use a PCI-Express TI chip "XIO2213B" IEEE-1394b FireWire Card.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
NX6C-Ted

Post by NX6C-Ted »

Darrin,
That is really helpful! I am just starting my ‘build’ list and evaluation. What you have is very close to what I’m headed towards.
Many thanks,
Ted
NX6C