Audio lag when using FT8

Installation questions, Setup, and general information not covered in the other sub-forums
VE3TMT

Audio lag when using FT8

Post by VE3TMT »

Hi gang,

I'm running into an issue when using FT8 and WSJT-X on the Flex 1500. I'm using a virtual audio cable pair on an i5 x64 with 20G of RAM. Problem is when the Flex keys up, the audio tone doesn't start transmitting until the 2nd or 3rd second of the transmitting cycle, ex 2/15 or 3/15 in WSJT-X.

I've tried changing buffer settings, SR settings etc, all are currently set to 48000, as suggested by KE9NS.

Sometimes the tones comes up right away and other times I am experiencing the delay.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,
Max
VE3TMT
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Audio lag when using FT8

Post by ke9ns »

If your getting lag, its most likely the Virtual cable is having trouble (assuming the 1500 is already keyed up via CAT command).
If your running the VAC from muzychenko, I would remove it, and run VoiceMeeter Banana drivers or VB-Cable.

But assuming your running VMB or VB-cable...its also possible the USB port is having troubles on your PC? (try a different USB port on your PC).

Or if you see your CPU hit near 100% that can cause lag and timing issue. The number after the i5 that you can lookup to see how many Cores and thread your CPU has. If its less than 4, that can be an issue. FT8 and my PowerSDR need horse power. With FT8 the busier the band, the more CPU.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

I was running VAC so I removed it and installed VB Cable, seems to be a bit better.

System is shown in attachment. Can't see where to see what the CPU% is.

Max
Attachments
system.jpg
system.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 17013 times
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

CPU usage is running around 17%
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

If your running VB-Cable and you have the Sample Rates matched, and you dont see a massive CPU% spike on the FT8 decodes, you should be good on the Virtual audio side.

Make sure you launch PowerSDR in ADMIN mode. Then you can Click on the "Time Sync" button in the Spotter screen to make sure your PC clock is accurate.

Then after that if you still have issues, you may want to try a different USB port or adjusting the USB settings in PowerSDR?
I dont have much experience using the 1500

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

Thanks Darrin

I'll try your suggestions. I still haven't figured out how to get the spotter function working!

Max
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

Just open the Spotter screen
Enter your callsign into the box on the lower right corner
Check the box "North American spotters only"
and click on the "Spot DX" button.

If you use LoTW then right click on your callsign (that you just entered into the box) and enter in your password for LoTW, then right click to close it
Now right click on the "LoTW" button, and it will download your complete LOG from LoTW and will show you which Spots you need and which you already have.

Darrin