Firewire connectivity issues

FireWire Information and Issues (for Flex-3000 and Flex-5000 models only). FireWire is the connection between your Flex radio and the PC (PowerSDR)
ckillian

Firewire connectivity issues

Post by ckillian »

Hi All,

I'm Having a couple of issues with an install for a FLEX-5000.

A little background.

1. I was able to install a PCI 1394A card into a Dell Optiplex 755. It worked but very slow performance.

2. I purchased a PCIe 1394A card and installed it into a Dell R620 server. Said server has 128 GB of memory and a six core Xeon CPU.

a. When installing PowerSDR 2.8 it keeps trying to install as a 32-bit application.
b. The system is not recognizing the PCIe 1394a card and no connection can be made.

3. I am going to try another PCIe slot to see if that changes anything.

4. If that doesn't work I'll try another computer.

5. I am writing this to see if anyone has seen anything similar.

6. One last question. Will a single instance of PowerSDR run two FLEX-500 radios on the same fire wire chain.

Thanks to all.

Chuck...
WB6YOK
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: Firewire connectivity issues

Post by ke9ns »

The 755 is just a 2 core PC. Definitely not enough power for my version of PowerSDR.
Even 4 cores is barely enough.

PowerSDR is a 32bit application (there are a few DLLs that I dont have source code for, so we are stuck at 32bit)

But its best if you install PowerSDR on a Win10 or Win11 x64 OS (you need to be running x64 to gain access to more RAM)

Also its best if you use a FireWire card with the TI chip XIO2213B (or similar) chip, as this chip is still in production and seems to be the most stable. Note: These boards always have both the A and B connector.

I have never used a Server before so I cannot speak to why your OS is not finding your FireWire card?
But it says it has PCI-E version 3.0, so it should be OK.

And since I have never used a server before, I am not sure about the differences between Win10 x64 PRO and the server version.
I say this because you want to also make absolutely sure that you set Control Panel->Power Options->High performance.
Because PowerSDR requires real-time DSP, all the CPU cores need to be running all the time.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
ckillian

Post by ckillian »

Quick update. Moved the card to an Optiplex 7020. 16GB of memory, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz. Only 4 cores but loafs along at about 20%.

I did not have an audio card installed in the server. Does not having a an audio card keep things from working at all?

So far a fun journey. Thanks for what you do.

Chuck...
WB6YOK...
ke9ns
Site Admin

Post by ke9ns »

The Flex-5000 does not need a sound card at all
BUT... PowerSDR needs at least 1 PC Playback device (like Headset or speakers) and 1 Recording device (like a mic).

You technically dont need a sound card (if your not going to use VAC1/2), just a USB Headset with mic (i.e. a cheap walmart logitech usb pc headset).
You dont need to actually use it, just have it plugged in.

But that is assuming that Windows was able to find your FireWire Card.

Darrin
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
ckillian

Post by ckillian »

Thought I'd provide an update.

Got everything working.

Using Server 2012, which is Windows 8 on steroids.

Had to add an audio card. Ended up this a Creative Labs Audigy. Works just fine.

The server simply would not deal with an IEEE 1394a card that uses an VIA chip set. Found one that uses the TI chip set and works a treat. Yeah, I know. That's what you said to use.

I now have a dedicated computer that runs server grade software. PowerSDR loafs at about 2-4%.

Thanks so much for the software work you have put into this.

If anyone needs more detail on what exactly was done I'd be happy to assist.

Cheers!
Chuck...