PSDR 2.7.2 on a Mac - No FireWire Driver?

FireWire Information and Issues (for Flex-3000 and Flex-5000 models only). FireWire is the connection between your Flex radio and the PC (PowerSDR)
W8ZZX

PSDR 2.7.2 on a Mac - No FireWire Driver?

Post by W8ZZX »

Brand new user here; just swapped an IC-7300 for my new-to-me minty-fresh Flex 3000 and am trying (so far unsucessfully) to get it to work with my 15" MacBook Pro (3Ghz quad-core i7 running High Sierra) in a Parallels 15/Windows 10 environment. I tried several times to install the total PowerSDR 2.7.2 package, but the beast fails to load the FireWire driver... FWIW, the laptop and the Flex are connected via a FW400-FW800 cable, with a FW800-Thunderbolt adaptor on the Mac end... This has worked successfully in the past to connect FW400 peripheral HDDs to my laptop, so I don't think the problem is in the hardware...

Any ideas what is going wrong? Would I be better off, given what I've read about Win10 and legacy 1394b drivers, to just upgun to PSDR v2.8?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: PSDR 2.7.2 on a Mac - No FireWire Driver?

Post by ke9ns »

I have used PowerSDR v2.7 and v2.8 on a Macbook Pro, but its older and has a built in 1394 (not a thunderbolt adapter), and I was running Bootcamp. I have never used Parallels.

What is failing to load? Is it when you try to install PowerSDR, or when you try to run PowerSDR? Whats the fault message?

Darrin ke9ns
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
jedevnull

Re: PSDR 2.7.2 on a Mac - No FireWire Driver?

Post by jedevnull »

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but neither Parallels or Fusion virtualize IEEE 1394. I'm getting ready to set up a Flex-3000 so this was a great disappointment. I ordered a laptop off ebay with Firewire, but Boot Camp might work.