PowerSDR 2.8.0.151/KDM-KS/Fldigi Windows 10

Information and Issues installing and using Virtual Audio Connections and Virtual Serial Port Pairs related to communication between PowerSDR and your PC programs.
This is where you interface to PC digital mode programs and logging software.
kd0qyn

PowerSDR 2.8.0.151/KDM-KS/Fldigi Windows 10

Post by kd0qyn »

Got a new PC (for me) with Windows 10 installed. Downloaded and installed the latest (at that time) PowerSDR, FLDIGI, WSJT-X, etc, etc. Got it all configured and it was working fine. This was like a month ago, oh and using a Flex 1500 is that make any difference.

In the past, on my old PC, I spent a couple years with the 1500 and worked the world on QRP. Hundreds of QSOs and lots of nice wall paper, certificates and plaques. I was very happy with the 1500 and PowerSDR.

Suddenly, my new PowerSDR install started with an message about unanticipated error and a stream pointer error. I tried over and over to get it working, but no avail. Downloaded and upgraded to PowerSDR 2.8.0.151, no joy. I think I can do the configuration in my sleep now since I have tried it so many times. The only thing that I had changed was I put the laptop into a docking station, but taking it out of the docking station didn't make any difference.

Searched all over the Internet, read a ton of articles that mostly didn't apply. Different version of Windows, different hardware, different whatever. Searched the archives here and could not find anything that applied.

Finally tried the Windows KDM-KS drivers after watching a video on Youtube and now PowerSDR will start, but I can't get FLDIGI or WSJT-X to see the VAC lines. They both give different errors, FLDIGI just says the port audio devices don't exist.

This sucks. I was pretty happy with this all working on Windows 7, but I took the advice of KE9NS and went to Windows 10. I'm really considering dumping PowerSDR and just using my Signalink USB to connect to my ICOM radio and sell the 1500.

If anyone has any answers, I certainly will appreciate it. BTW, I realize that Windows 10 does everything differently, so I was expecting some trouble, but not like this.

Mark
KD0QYN
ke9ns
Site Admin

Re: PowerSDR 2.8.0.151/KDM-KS/Fldigi Windows 10

Post by ke9ns »

When you talk about a "Stream pointer error", is this an error that occurs when you activate VAC1 or VAC2?
If it is, take a screen shot of the VAC settings and the error.

KDM-KS drivers have low latency, but do not share between programs. Only 1 program at a time can use the driver, so if you accidentally launch FLDIGI and forget to close Wsjt-x, the drivers will not appear until you reboot your PC.

I have updated my webpage to reflect using "Direct Sound" as the best choice. And using "Voicemeeter Banana" drivers for the Virtual audio

Darrin ke9ns
Creator of PowerSDR KE9NS v2.8, based on the Flex Radio PowerSDR v2.7.2 software.
Flex-5000, LDMOS and Titan Amps, G5RV, and Mosley TA-33 Junior
kd0qyn

Re: PowerSDR 2.8.0.151/KDM-KS/Fldigi Windows 10

Post by kd0qyn »

I solved this after lots of browsing around the Internet. The solution was to use the KDM-KS drivers and allow other apps to access them in Windows 10. This link was the answer: https://groups.io/g/winfldigi/topic/19182396

Thanks for looking at this. I really enjoy your software. As a former and still part time programmer, I know how much work you put into this. Thanks!

Mark
KD0QYN